Wednesday, November 05, 2014

Freed Man in Paris


It's official -- the publication date of Modern Man: The Life of Le Corbusier, Architect of Tomorrow was yesterday, November 4, 2014, and I appeared in my debut author's talk at Brookline Booksmith in Coolidge Corner in the evening. The event was well attended and I happily signed books. The launch continues Thursday November 6 at the Boston Society of Architects, in the BSASpace overlooking Fort Point Channel in downtown Boston. Next up is Providence, Rhode Island, at Books on the Square Saturday November 22, and then off to New York City for The Skyscraper Museum in Lower Manhattan December 2. In the New Year I'm set for The National Building Museum on January 11, The Boston Athenaeum January 21, and the Preservation Foundation of Palm Beach February 19.
     The buzz about Modern Man began in earnest over the weekend. On Sunday, my story In the Footsteps of Le Corbusier appeared in The Boston Sunday Globe Travel section. I was delighted to recall the destinations in France and Switzerland that were dutifully required to research the book, from the Swiss Riveria and Lake Geneva to the South of France, Marseille, Lyon, Ronchamp, and of course Paris. Also on Sunday, my interview with Rachel Martin aired on NPR's Weekend Edition. The headline was "Like it or Not, Architect Le Corbusier's Urban Designs are Everywhere" -- giving me a taste of how this controversial figure is likely to be greeted, that is, with some considerable skepticism. Rachel Martin did tell me at the beginning that she had no idea who Le Corbusier was, and was not particularly interested in the subject -- but really enjoyed reading the book. She asked some challenging questions. I'll be very happy if readers find this story compelling, and relate it to our present built environment and the landscape all around, and the future of cities in the 21st century.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, Anthony, I am journalist, working in EL MUNDO Culture desk in Madrid; I have just sent you a mail to your anthonyflint.net mailbox, but, apparently, the mailfolder is full. How could I contact you? My mail: luis.alemanyelmundo.es. Thanks.

6:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home